Are you tired of constantly cleaning out leaves and debris from your pool? Fact is, a plastic pool cover can offer the perfect solution. This blog post will guide you through every essential detail regarding these protective shields for pools, including their numerous types, benefits and steps to install them correctly.
Let’s discover how an easily overlooked item can bring about significant improvements in our pool care routine!
- Plastic pool covers come in various types, including bubble wrap covers and solar blankets, which help to keep the pool warm and prevent water evaporation.
- They provide benefits like cleanliness by preventing debris from entering the pool and reducing algae growth.
- Plastic pool covers are energy – efficient, saving on heating costs by trapping heat and reducing chemical usage.
Types of Plastic Pool Covers
Bubble Wrap Pool Covers
Bubble wrap pool covers are a great type for plastic pool covers. They have small bubbles that trap warm air to stop water from getting cold. It is like putting a blanket on your swimming pool! These are UV-stabilized and floating, which means they withstand the sun’s rays and stay on top of water well.
There are three types of 500-micron bubble wraps available. The best thing about them is, they cost less than foam covers but still do a good job at keeping your pool warm and safe from things that can make it dirty like leaves or insects.
Plus, these solar blankets help in stopping algae growth in pools too! So, with bubble wrap pool covers, you get heat safety as well as clean water — isn’t that cool?.
Solar Pool Blankets
Solar pool blankets keep your swimming pool warm. They catch heat from the sun and stop it from going away. This is because they have tiny bubbles that trap warmth in the water. You can feel the difference as they help to keep a stable water temperature.
These blankets are made of tough stuff like vinyl, polyethylene or polypropylene. They do not let heat pass through them. That means more fun time for you even on cool days! These covers are easy to put on and take off too.
Plus, they make running your pool much cheaper by saving energy costs.
Solid Safety Pool Covers
Solid safety pool covers keep pools clean and safe. They stop leaves and other stuff from falling into the water. These covers are made of strong plastic. You can use them to close your pool for a long time, like in winter.
This saves water, power, and money on pool chemicals. Brands like Powerplastics sell these types of covers. If you buy a vinyl security cover, it may cost between $1,200 and $3,000 but they work well to reduce loss of water and chemicals by blocking evaporation too.
Automatic Vinyl Safety Covers
Automatic vinyl safety covers are a top choice for pool protection. These are made of tough vinyl material. You can trust them to last long and stay strong. They don’t just cover your swimming pool, they keep it safe too.
Each cover has locks that make sure it fits well and stays put. They help keep the water clean as well. Swimming in a hygienic pool is always better! Automatic vinyl safety covers give you all this with no sweat at all.
Benefits and Features of Plastic Pool Covers
Plastic pool covers offer a range of benefits, including preventing water evaporation, protecting against debris, and providing energy efficiency. Discover how these covers can enhance your swimming pool experience.
Water evaporation prevention
Plastic pool covers do a great job at cutting down water loss. They keep your pool full for longer, saving you time and money on refilling. Evaporation is slower because the cover blocks heat from the sun.
This is useful during hot summer months when water can vanish fast.
Automatic pool covers act like a shield against the sun’s rays. They are waterproof and very good at stopping evaporation. Floating covers also help to hold in pool chemicals like chlorine.
With less water loss, these important chemicals stay in your pool instead of evaporating into thin air.
Pool cleanliness and debris protection
Pool covers keep the water clean. They stop dirt and other junk from getting into your pool. This means you spend less time cleaning it out. Pool covers also stop algae from growing in the water.
Algae can make your pool look dirty and not nice to swim in. In the winter, pool covers help a lot too. They keep leaves and other things out of your pool when it is not being used.
All this makes having a pool cover very helpful for keeping your swimming space neat and tidy.
Energy efficiency and heating benefits
Plastic pool covers offer great energy efficiency. They cut down on heating costs by up to 70%. This is due to their ability to keep pool water warm when the pool is not in use. These covers also stop heat from leaving the pool, meaning less energy gets used overall.
Along with these savings, plastic pool covers can make a solar heating system smaller. This leads to even more cost cuts. Not just that, they keep your pool clean which means fewer chemicals are used and cleaning time goes down too! So you save money and help nature by using less water and power.
PVC Pool Covers: An Overview
PVC pool covers, also known as vinyl pool covers, are a popular choice among pool owners for their durability and effectiveness. These covers are made of strong PVC material that can withstand great weight, ensuring reliable protection for your pool.
They are designed to cover the entire pool except for the shape, providing a secure barrier against debris and other elements.
One of the main benefits of PVC pool covers is their ability to prevent water evaporation. By covering your pool when it’s not in use, you can significantly reduce water loss due to evaporation.
This not only helps conserve water but also saves you money on water bills in the long run.
In addition to water conservation, PVC pool covers also offer added safety and security for your swimming area. With these covers in place, you can prevent accidents such as children or pets falling into the open pool.
They provide peace of mind knowing that your pool is protected even when it’s unattended.
Overall, PVC pool covers are an affordable and practical solution for keeping your swimming area clean, safe, and energy-efficient. Whether you’re looking to minimize water loss or enhance the overall cleanliness of your pool, these durable covers serve as a reliable investment for any homeowner with a swimming area.
Installation and Maintenance of Plastic Pool Covers
To install a plastic pool cover, follow a DIY process and trim it to the appropriate size for your pool. Regular maintenance includes cleaning and proper storage when not in use.
DIY installation process
Installing a plastic pool cover yourself is straightforward and can save you money. Here are the steps to follow:
- Prepare the pool: Clean the pool thoroughly and remove any debris or obstructions.
- Measure and trim: Measure your pool’s dimensions and purchase a cover that fits properly. Trim any excess material if needed.
- Joining the cover: Use heat welding to join multiple pieces of the cover together, ensuring a secure bond.
- Lay out the cover: Place the cover over the pool, making sure it is centered and covers the entire surface.
- Secure the edges: Use straps or clips to secure the edges of the cover to prevent it from shifting or being blown away by wind.
- Test for proper fit: Check that the cover is taut and doesn’t have any sagging areas, which can lead to water pooling on top.
- Regular maintenance: Clean your pool cover regularly by removing leaves and debris with a broom or leaf blower. Avoid using sharp objects that could damage it.
- The DIY installation process for plastic pool covers is associated with the installation and maintenance of the covers.
- Heat welding, or joining, the cover is recommended before starting the installation process.
- Ongoing care and maintenance are necessary for plastic pool covers.
Proper trimming and sizing
Proper trimming and sizing of plastic pool covers is crucial for their installation and maintenance. Here are some important guidelines to follow:
- Trim the cover with a pair of scissors to fit around the pool wall.
- Be cautious not to trim too much in the first cut, as pulling the cover too tight can cause damage.
- Allow for shrinkage of the cover once it is exposed to water, so leave some extra material.
- It’s essential to do the trimming and sizing before exposing the cover to water because welding it afterward won’t be possible.
- PowerPlastics Pool Covers offers GeoBubble pool covers, which may require adjusting chemical input for pools.
Maintenance and care instructions
To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your plastic pool cover, it is important to follow proper maintenance and care instructions:
- Clean the cover regularly: Remove any dirt, leaves, or debris from the pool cover’s surface using a broom or leaf blower. This helps prevent damage and extends the lifespan of the cover.
- Remove standing water: Use a pool cover pump or siphon to remove any accumulated water on top of the cover. This prevents excessive weight that can cause tearing or stretching.
- Inspect the fabric: Regularly check for any signs of wear and tear, such as holes, tears, or loose threads. If any damage is found, repair it promptly to avoid further deterioration.
- Maintain the cover’s parts: Check all fasteners, straps, and hardware regularly to make sure they are secure and in good condition. Replace any damaged or worn-out parts to ensure proper functionality.
- Prevent UV damage: When not in use, store your plastic pool cover in a shaded area to protect it from harmful UV rays. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause premature deterioration.
- Proper storage: If you need to remove the pool cover for an extended period, clean it thoroughly before folding and storing it in a dry and clean location like a storage shed or garage.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions: Always refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for specific maintenance and care instructions tailored to your type of plastic pool cover.
Where to Purchase Plastic Pool Covers
You can find plastic pool covers at online retailers and local pool supply stores. Read on to discover the best options for your needs.
If you’re looking to purchase plastic pool covers online, there are a few options available. PowerPlastics Pool Covers is an online retailer that offers a range of thermal covers, safety covers, and fully automatic covers for pools.
Designer Pool Covers specializes in supplying and installing pool covers to transform pools into stylish and convenient sanctuaries. PoolCovers.co.za is an online shop for DIY pool covers that can help you save water, power, chemicals and even provide natural heating benefits.
Aqua-Net pool covers is another online retailer that offers a wide range of pool nets and covers with branches nationwide in South Africa. These retailers offer different types of plastic pool covers to suit your needs and preferences.
Local pool supply stores and distributors
You can find plastic pool covers at local pool supply stores and distributors in your area. Retailers such as Makro, Builders Warehouse, and Game may offer a variety of options for you to choose from.
These stores specialize in swimming pool supplies and provide a range of products, including pool covers. By visiting these local retailers, you can see the different types of plastic pool covers available and compare prices.
Whether you’re looking for a bubble wrap cover or an automatic vinyl safety cover, these stores are likely to have what you need to keep your pool protected.
Is PVC a Better Option for a Pool Cover Than Plastic?
In conclusion, plastic pool covers are a practical and efficient way to protect your pool. They come in various types, such as bubble wrap covers and solar blankets, that offer benefits like water evaporation prevention, cleanliness, energy efficiency, and safety.
By investing in a plastic pool cover and properly maintaining it, you can enjoy a cleaner pool while saving on heating costs and chemical usage. So be sure to choose the right cover for your pool and enjoy all the advantages it brings!
What Are the Benefits of Using a Pool Safety Cover Instead of a Plastic Cover?
Using a pool safety cover benefits both you and your loved ones in numerous ways. Unlike a plastic cover, a pool safety cover provides an extra layer of protection, preventing accidental drownings. Moreover, these covers also keep debris and leaves out of the pool, reducing maintenance and cleaning time. Additionally, they help conserve energy by reducing water and chemical evaporation, saving on both utility costs and environmental resources.
1. How do plastic pool covers help to keep the pool clean?
Plastic pool covers act as a barrier, preventing leaves, debris, and dirt from entering the pool and keeping it clean.
2. Are plastic pool covers waterproof?
Yes, plastic pool covers are designed to be waterproof and provide protection against rainwater or any other liquids from entering the pool.
3. Can I use a plastic pool cover during winter?
Yes, plastic pool covers can be used during winter to protect the pool from snow, ice, and other harsh weather conditions.
4. Do plastic pool covers help in heating the water?
Yes, some types of plastic pool covers are designed to trap heat from sunlight and keep the water warm for longer periods of time.
5. How do I clean a plastic pool cover?
To clean a plastic pool cover, simply rinse it with water and mild soap if necessary. Avoid using abrasive cleaners that could damage or weaken the cover’s material.